Friday, January 21, 2011

The Writing Life Chapter 6 and 7

I really liked the beginning of chapter 6. I always find more relevance in Dillard's short anecdotes and stories than in her metaphors. They seem much more relatable and understandable. The story of Ferrar rowing almost uselessly against the tide is definitely something I can identify with, but the detail that Dillard put in about the reversal of the current was encouraging! People should definitely endeavor to the end; there are times when writing will feel slow, and other times where some invisible current, some magical inspiration, will pull the writer through.

Also, I liked the idea of "skying." I'm not sure if i liked it for the point that Dillard was trying to bring up, or the fact that I like nouning and verbing. For instance, I too, enjoy computering, and internetting, and junk-fooding. But the last paragraph of chapter 6 was good, it brought up a critical point. All of the different actions brought to my mind the idea that being a writer really doesn't involve just writing. It involves living, first and foremost, I think, because a person who has no experiences can't write and incorporate themselves into their writing. Our writing, whether we intend to or not, draws so much from our own lives, and though I'm aware Dillard brought this sort of idea up earlier, I think this paragraph has made it the most clear.

Chapter seven was my favorite. The whole things a story, and it definitely brought a huge sense of inspiration--about art in general, and doing art for the sake of art, writing for the sake of writing, for pushing oneself to do something difficult because it has the power to inspire. In a strange, unexpected way, art is addicting--people take on the difficulties and challenges of art merely for the sake of expressing themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment