Thursday, December 16, 2010

oops, I like social experimentation?

sorry, my mistake, let me correct myself: I LOVE SOCIAL EXPERIMENTATION.
Is the way i just said it looking a bit obnoxious? good. But really I don't think I've said anything particularly wrong.

To be quite honest, I think there are some serious misconceptions about this social experiment that's been going on these days, and I really want to lay some issues bare. It's been on my mind a lot, but I'm not sure if I can really articulate what I want to convey >.< but here goes:

Firstly, Prism doesn't automatically equal social retardation. I don't think social retardation is even an appropriate term. Some people like to get to know a lot of people, some people like to keep to themselves. Some people are good at meeting new people, some people are still learning. Regardless, it's not something to criticize other people about. It's just a personal preference or struggle, and unless someone is seriously out to insult you or argue with you, their "social skills" are none of your business. Sorry. :)

But really, it's kind of sad to hear people putting down their own social skills, or to hear people assuming that they have none just because they're in Prism. Some people are saying that they're only able to get along with Prism kids, and that that's pathetic. But if you think about it, doesn't it make sense that you're drawn to people who are similar to you? NonPrism people group together, too, based on interests and personality. I imagine that if Prism didn't exist and we were still all in the same school together, many of us would be good friends anyways just because we have many of the same interests and common personality traits and senses of humor (<--oh dear).

So this social experiment: No facebook, no chat, no texting, no email for a week. It's short, it's for fun. Also, it's Optional. It's not intended to leave anyone out, or to force anyone in. I don't consider it a tool for me to become more social, so don't generalize. It's impossible for anyone to know everyone else's thoughts, so don't assume I'm one out of a thousand who all think EXACTLY the same, with ALL of their thoughts invented by the lovely person doing the assuming. Remember, every time you assume something about someone, you are making an ass out of yourself. Please, think of yourself. And the poor donkeys who are getting bad reputations.

Back to why I love this: It's fun. I like hearing the voices of my friends when I talk to them because I think there's a lot more personality when there's sound attached!!! so I appreciate that a lot of people are just trying it out, despite whatever inconvenience it might be to them. Of course, I did mention it was only for a week.

Can't these things be just for fun? Does absolutely everything need to have a meaning? I like things when they have deeper meanings and when they evoke thought, but not everything has to do that. And maybe this phone call deal won't make people know each other completely better, but I think even the moments of awkwardness and ......-ness count for something. It's a memory, and I'll look back one day remembering the time I did a social experiment where seven people were attached to one phone call and we COMPLETELY didn't understand each other. Those kind of memories make me laugh. And sometimes, a laugh is enough.

But who knows? The social experiment isn't over yet, so there's still time for DEEPER MEANING, if Deeper Meaning feels like blessing us all. In the meantime, my productivity on the computer has gone up 100000%, and I might want to actually continue doing this even after the week is over.

so :)

2 comments:

  1. my productivity is questionable still. although i do like this feeling of being more part of a network than i was before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE. (oops, am I the only one?)

    Anyway, hundred percent agreed. Are you still doing it? I should start again because I'm getting back into old habits... CALL ME.

    "Please, think of yourself. And the poor donkeys who are getting bad reputations." <--- :D

    ReplyDelete