Wednesday, November 17, 2010

rust, anyone?

Rust makes me think of being disappointed. It's like a shiny nail that's turned all brown and is falling apart gradually (chemistry students, unite!). It's like you expect a beautiful carmine sort of flower, and once it blooms you find out it's been half chewed by aphids and whatnot and is in the process of decaying. It's like picking out an awesome apple at QFC (people don't seem to pick apples off of trees nowadays...) and turning it over to see an ugly, ugly bruise. Rust is upsetting.



And I admit, right now I'm feeling kind of upset. and I guess I get upset often. But doesn't everyone? I get upset at a lot of things, and a lot of things get upset at me. I get disappointed, and I disappoint others. Just because these are common things doesn't make them okay, though. Just because the "world isn't fair" doesn't mean it shouldn't be. Having an unfair world doesn't mean people can do nothing about it; it means people should be working to make it fair.

I feel like sometimes, the workshop comments haven't been quite fair. Constructive criticism doesn't mean it's okay to rag on someone's story, guys. I do enjoy the workshops and discussing people's stories because I find them fascinating and a great way for people to reveal themselves, but sometimes I find myself getting annoyed at the comments being made or shocked at the sorts of things people are saying. Constructive criticism indicates that you're building someone's story by letting them know what you like and suggesting ways they can change it to make things better. It doesn't mean you cut down someone's morale, or make them feel like crap, or say things like, "I hate this part, because I disagree with it, blah blah blah, it sucks, haha what were you thinking?" On the other hand, what are YOU thinking? (sorry, not directing this at YOU per se, just the example person who is being a jerk). Seriously, some people need to go back to kindergarten and relearn what it means to be considerate.

Maybe I sound overly sensitive. But when people are arguing during a workshop about tiny, insignificant, anal details, I think the rust is justified. Attacking a story is the same as attacking the author. Maybe you can discuss any "hates" about a story with someone else on your own time. But don't be saying crap to people's faces, don't be saying it when they're right there, and don't be saying it when you don't even know how hard they must have tried to get their story right, how much time they've spent on these things, and just how much the story actually reflects parts of their minds and hearts, regardless of whether it's well written or not, regardless of whether you think it's "awesome"...or not.

It's hard to write a good story. It's easy to be rude. That's why rudeness gets no one anywhere, and a good story can warm a lot of hearts.

4 comments:

  1. agree.
    LIKE THE GUNSHOT PHYSICS OH GOODNESS

    ReplyDelete
  2. We waste so much time in workshop on stupid things. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I feel like I'm hearing lots of 20-minute arguments amongst small groups of people during workshop.
    Rather than dwelling on some single inconsistency for so long, I think time could be better spent going over all the aspects of each story, pointing out what was good. That way when we do start arguing over something "bad," authors can have an idea for what people would like to see in improvements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Yeah I hated this, WHAT REALLY YOU HATED THAT, YARLY I HATED THAT AND IM NOT GIVING SUGGESTIONS, ORLY BUT ITS SO GOOD, WELL TOO BAD I HATED IT..."

    Author: T.T can we move on to something more important, I wrote that when I was super tired. PLEASE TALK ABOUT RELEVANT THINGS. I WANT TO SLAP YOU ALL.

    ^-- PRISM story debate. Truth.

    ReplyDelete